Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Merry Christmas....Almost

Two months until Christmas.  Start the freak out!!  Or not...  Most years I am ready for Christmas.  In fact I generally have my list made out in July and am completely done shopping by now.  This year...not so much!  With some very large bills looming, the realization that my kids only like their presents for about a week, and trying to shift our focus onto giving instead of receiving, Christmas is looking much different this year than in the past.  I still want to bless my children and give them gifts but I am taking my time about everything this year.  Making every penny count and continuing (it is an ongoing process!) to teach them about giving.  

Our natural inclination is greed.  It's easy.  It takes some doing to give.  It will not be effortless to teach the everlasting value of giving to our children but I am determined to do it.  The church is doing Operation Christmas Child ( http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/ ) this year and we are involved.  I totally recommend it!!!  I am hoping it is a start to opening all of our eyes about just how much we really have and take for granted EVERY day!!  When did we lose focus on the fact that Jesus is the reason for Christmas.  How about giving of our time, money, energy?  Not just at Christmas but everyday?  Thank goodness for big looming bills!!  They are causing me to look inward and change some of my actions and the actions of my family!!!  Merry almost Christmas everyone!!  Focus on the only One who truly satisfies!  He is the most blessed Gift of all!!!
~Riki

No comments:

Post a Comment