Thursday, July 12, 2012

Verses for Our Upcoming Homeschool Year and Beyond!

Recently I asked a very sweet lady if she would be my mentor in the aspects of homeschooling.  It can be a daunting and sometimes lonely calling to be a stay at home, homeschooling mom!  I needed some guidance and she very calmly asked if I had a verse for the year.  A verse?  I hadn't ever thought about it.  Sad but so true.  I tend to get so caught up in trying to make sure that math and reading and writing etc... are done that I forget about the most important part of schooling raising my kids.  Their hearts and their souls.  This year is going to be different.  I have spent a lot of time on my knees and the Lord has given me some verses to apply (and memorize!) to different aspects of our homeschooling. 

Here they are:

For our entire homeschool career I have been given two verses:
 
Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

and
 
Ephesians 6:4 "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."

For me specifically:
 

Galatians 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

For this school year (two passages):
 

Matthew 7:16-20
16 "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
 
and
 
Galatians 5: 22-23 "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

We are also going to be digging deep into the fruits of the Spirit this year as a Biblestudy.  I am at the beginning of figuring out what to do but I am excited to start planning. (I will be posting pictures too!)  I have too many commitments for this month but as soon as August 1st hits, I will be getting out all my books and starting my planning for the next year.  Nahna will be in 3rd grade and Bubby will be starting Preschool/Kindergarten (I wasn't going to start him this early but he is already advanced and wants to begin school!).  Very exciting times in our household!
Do you and your family have "life" verses or verses that apply to your homeschool?  What are they?

3 comments:

  1. Here's a fun song for learning the list of the fruits of the Spirit. It's just fun, but will help them remember the names of the Fruits so that they can then learn what each of them means. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1t8MVZRNb4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great verses! Beth Moore has an amazing Bible study on the Fruits of Spirit called Living Beyond Yourself. You can order the member book online and actually purchase the individual video or audio lessons from lifeway.com to watch at home. They are like $4 each. $4 a week for bible study is worth it to me. :) If you can find a church doing It--even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Kimbalaya! I am excited to check it out!
    Becky~ Thanks! I will look into the Biblestudy materials. It would be nice to be doing my own grown up version while teaching the kids theirs! =)

    ReplyDelete