Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Peace in Schooling

    As I sit here listening to Jim Brickman play piano, and missing my daddy terribly because he too was a gifted pianist, I am reflecting on what just happened with my children. If you read my last blog post then you may realize the struggles I have with balancing schoolwork with life. Today, some things became crystal clear to me.

    Let me back up a bit. Last night I burned my neck (NEVER use a magic eraser on your skin to remove purple hair dye--it WILL burn you) pretty badly and it is sooo painful!! I didn't sleep much and so I let the kids watch a movie while I slept in a bit. Needless to say, we started the day off slowly and WAY behind!! Normally after lunch is free time but today I was planning on continuing school so that we could keep on "schedule". My kids just wanted to go play outside and play with the dirt and weeds, their "soup" for their restaurant. =) After lunch I got prepared for schooling to continue then looked at my little girl. She isn't so little anymore. I am seeing little blossoms of womanhood creeping in. When did the baby flee and the woman creep in??? How long until she doesn't want to play anymore with her little brother? Or for that matter, play at all? She has her whole life to learn. Playtime is only for a short while. Plus, she is learning right along with playing. Learning to share, get along with another person (especially when he is being challenging), and most importantly, to imagine. Those are gifts. Nahna didn't complain when I told her we were going to do more school but she did look deflated. As I looked at her more, I realized that she won't want to play forever and that this chapter of childhood is coming to an end. So, I said to go out and play. Like a thirsty flower getting water, she perked right up, ran over, gave me a giant hug and smile. With a "thanks Mommy, I love you!!" she burst into the sunlight and the joy of youth.

    I did the right thing for her. I put aside my "schedule" for play. There is peace in being flexible and relaxing.  Enjoying the season that we are in because it is gone too quickly!  May I always realize that!!

    "Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity." ~Kay Redfield Jamison

Nahna at play.

Bubby at play.

No comments:

Post a Comment